Carmen Wong in the latest issue of the Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America has a nice article (pdf) on preparing for your first field season. The advice is good for us veterans as well. The big take home, start planning now–a lot of these things take time.
- Apply early for your research permits
- Make contacts with the relevant organizations
- Understand your sampling scheme
- Be safe
- Treat your field assistants well
- Treat yourself well and remember your loved ones
- Prepare for the worst