Image from Alex Wild’s amazing Myrmecos.net
From the home office in Wahoo Nebraska, here are 10 amazing ant facts.
10. If you weighed all the ants in a tropical forest, then weighed all the mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians, the ants would weigh four time as much.
9. Fire ants are attracted to electricity. No one knows why.
8. The tiniest mature ant colony has 5 workers; the largest has over 100 million.
7. Most ant species have broad diets, but many are incredibly specialized–one eats only spider eggs.
6. Ants invented agriculture–growing fungi on leaves they harvest and mulch–long before humans did.
5. Ants are so successful and common that many ant species specialize on eating other ants.
4. The queens of some ant colonies can live over 10 years, making them some of the longest lived insects.
3. All the worker ants you see are females; all the worker ants from a single colony are most likely sisters.
2. You can recognize the few ant males in a colony by their pinheads and large googley eyes.
1. No ant has been elected to higher office in the United States. Yet.